Lola Peñuelas, a nurse at the Plastic Surgery Institute of Martín del Yerro, describes in this article what the roles and responsibilities of nurses in their plastic surgery unit are.
1. The work of nurses during the preoperative period:
Team nurses do in this period an informative and educational work. After the first consultation between the patient and the surgeon, nurses give more technical information on the pre-intra and post-operative period aspects:
• patient take measures to adjust the size of the compression garments in de-liposuction surgeries and abdominoplasty
• explain the preparation to follow for proper arrival in the operating room (washing with chlorhexidine soap, waxing, etc.)
• helped organize cures and lymphatic drainage massage postoperative
• advise on how to disguise the drains in the case of surgeries that require (abdominoplasty, breast reconstruction, replacement implants …)
• We answer questions about when they can exercise movements should and should not do, correct placement of bra and compression garment …
• We perform simulation test:
The test simulation is performed for patients about to be operated on Breast Augmentation. It is proof that the nurse makes the patient with the aim of assessing the wishes of it in terms of the volume of the implant future. The simulation test is performed twice: After the first shot of surgeon-patient contact and preoperative (very close to the surgery) query. Test allows us to discover that the objectives of the patient for the desired volume. We use a called bodylogic method; using a special fastener sizerscolocados under different projections are simulated. The patient with the help of your surgeon and the nurse who is performing the test can simulate the outcome of your breast augmentation.
2. Work of nurses during the intraoperative period:
Nurses perform a task team instrumentation during the intra-operative period. The scrub nurse is responsible for maintaining the integrity and security of the sterile field during surgery. We have the knowledge of aseptic and sterile to properly prepare the proper equipment and provide maximum efficiency in the management of it during surgery techniques. Are important features manual dexterity, endurance, responsibility and ability to work under pressure. We follow a series of basic and essential steps for proper operation of the surgical process:
• Surgical Handwashing: washing is carried out before any surgical intervention by members of sterile equipment. Its aim is to achieve the maximum degree of asepsis. Its duration should be about five minutes.
• Placing the sterile surgical gown
• Placement of sterile gloves using a closed technique
• Collaborate with members of sterile surgical team in the placement of surgical clothing and sterile gloves
• Disinfection of the operative site using sterile swabs and betadine.
• Assemble and place the instruments in surgical tables
• Maintain neat tables and surgical instruments
• Provide the necessary instruments handing surgeon appropriately to make your job easier
• Manipulate the instrumental taking special care with items that may endanger the physical safety of the patient or staff sterile and non-sterile surgical equipment
• Maintain the cleanliness of the surgical field, cleaning the instrumental blood or other debris
• Perform count packs, gauze, instruments, sharps, etc., at the beginning and end of surgery.
• Transfer to the circulating nurse samples for pathology, microbiology, etc., obtained in the surgical field, for preparation and submission to the appropriate service
• Anticipate, the needs of the surgeon and surgical time control
• To act, when necessary, as assistant surgeon
• Perform disinfecting the wound and place the necessary dressings
3. Labor Nurse during the postoperative period:
During this period, the work for the sick patient is crucially important. Because the patients have undergone a surgical procedure, an event that in most cases is novel and that causes concern and worry. We have to get the patient experiences to the whole surgical experience in a much better and easier way for patients to recall their intervention and postoperative as a pleasant and repeatable experience. The first contact we have is after the first treatment, which takes place the morning after surgery before discharge. We explain the instructions to be followed by the patient with the aim of leaving the hospital without any doubt. We undertake the care of the surgical wound, debit valuation drains and correct evolution of the surgical site. Lovingly care for scars and train patients as possible to minimize the visibility of the same. In breast reconstruction surgeries, we take care, together with the surgeon performing the filling of tissue expanders and collaborate with team physiotherapists in the care and hydration of the tissue.
To make a long story short, nurses operate a massive system in the background that most people don’t take into account. The reason that most people don’t think about these things is that they speak with the nurse during a sequential process. The work of a nurse is intense, profound and a necessity in today’s modern technology.
If you’re considering nursing for a plastic surgery facility, I would strongly recommend contacting a nurse already in that profession. They will also be able to give you (as a prospective nurse) the insight and foresight necessary to prepare for this profession.
If you are a patient ready to undergo surgery make sure, you thank your nurse for all the hard work they’re doing in the background.
So, now that you know what goes on in the background what are your thoughts? Did you learn something new? If so, be sure to share this post with people that would enjoy this information! I’d also like to know what your thoughts are in the comments below, so be sure to do that as well.
– Vincent Yerk
PS We have more insights in the medical industry coming in so, along with an opportunity to interview a surgeon as to his thought process in taking on new patients, and how he analyzes reports – stay tuned for that!